Reasons for behind Natural Gas Conversion to Natural Gas
Over the past few months, gas prices have been on the rise. Although global oil prices have slipped as of recant news, prices are still volatile and will continue to fluctuate in future. As a result people are looking at ways to reduce their fuel expenditure. Many are turning to compressed natural gas to replace petrol and diesel. Natural Gas Conversion has been resorted to for a number of reasons:
- Eco friendly: Engines running on natural gas produce less hydrocarbon exhaust emissions than gasoline-fuelled engines. In fact compared to cars fuelled by gasoline or diesel natural gas vehicles produce less carbon mono oxide, 87%less non methane organic gas, 87%less nitrogen oxide and 20%less carbon dioxide. Although natural gas vehicles do emit methane, one of the principle greenhouse gases, the methane is offset with the significant reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.
- Safe: Natural gas is stored in cylindrical or spherical tanks, which are much safer than gasoline fuel tanks. In case of an accident natural gas will dissipate into the atmosphere unlike gasoline which pools in the ground and becomes a fire hazard. It also has a lower range of flammability and is not toxic or corrosive.
- Efficient: Since natural gas has 90% methane, it has a substantially higher octane rating compared to gasoline. This allows for higher compression ratios that makes engines more efficient. Also it is a clean burning fuel it causes less wear and tear on the engine. This results to longer engine life and more savings from maintenance.
- Costs Less: It is a lot cheaper than gasoline or diesel. It is available at least one third the price of gasoline. Moreover, the prices of natural gas are less volatile than gasoline.
- Abundant and Readily Available: There is an abundant supply of natural gas especially in the U.S.A. and there is an extensive network of gas pipelines distributing it all over the country.